Frogwares has been working hard on a massive remake and rewrite of the Lovecraftian Sherlock Holmes chapter The Awakened. They have just released the first look at gameplay, which shows off its dark and murky setting.
The game will take the detective duo across 4 locations – Victorian London, a Swiss psych ward, the New Orleans bayous, and the Scottish Highlands – as they try to separate reality from the supernatural while trying to put a stop to these shadowy madmen.
A list of the major changes to The Awakened include:
- All new graphics and assets made in Unreal Engine 4
- New and redone animations
- Full cutscene overhauls
- Additional investigation gameplay mechanics
- Rewriting the story to connect with the case from The Awakened to a younger Sherlock
- Amplifying the story behind how Watson and Holmes came to be so close
- Minor story rewrites to the cases
- Additional side quests
- New English voice-over recordings and translations into multiple languages
- UI overhaul
- Change to contemporary 3rd person perspective camera
- Additional quality-of-life features
As you may or may not know, they are currently amidst the heartbreaking situation in Ukraine but are confident they will be able to handle this project. In fact, even despite the recent missile strikes hindering their work, they are still aiming for a February/Marc 2023 release date.