Humankind is easily one of the better historical strategy games, bringing us a uniquely grounded premise which although is similar to Civ, presents a refreshing new experience full of various new gameplay elements not seen in this type of genre.
It is about to get even bigger with the upcoming Cultures of Africa DLC that will incorporate some of the most interesting parts of Africa with brand new cultures, personas, narrative events and more.
SIX NEW CULTURES
- Era 1 – Bantu (Expansionist) The Bantu expansion is a postulated series of major migrations of an original Ntu-speaking group from Central- West-Africa across much of sub-Saharan Africa.
Pick this culture if you want to grab a lot of land fast and early!
- Era 2 – Garamantes (Agrarian) The Garamantes emerged as a major regional power in the mid-second century AD. Their growth and expansion rested on a complex and extensive qanat irrigation system (known as foggaras in Berber), which supported a strong agricultural economy and large population.
Pick this culture if you want to get food from arid Territories!
- Era 3 – Swahili (Merchant) The rise of the Swahili coast city-states can be largely attributed to the region’s extensive participation in a trade network that spanned the Indian Ocean.
Pick this culture if you have lots of coasts and want to take advantage of them!
- Era 4 – Maasai (Agrarian) A fierce pastoralist people with a Nilotic (rather than Bantu or Swahili) language. For the Maasai, achieving warrior status meant single-handedly killing a lion with a spear.
Pick this culture if you want to optimize your growth rate!
- Era 5 – Ethiopians (Militarist) During the Scramble for Africa, Ethiopia and Liberia were the only two nations that preserved their sovereignty from long-term colonization by a European colonial power. By weaving the natural cliffs and ledges into the creation of their fortresses, Ethiopia was able to fend off most colonial forces.
Pick this culture if you’d like to quickly catch up on military and science!
- Era 6 – Nigerians (Agrarian) Nigeria unites a wide variety of cultures under the rule of one state. The variety of its terrain and the abundance of its hydraulic resources offer it significant agricultural possibilities and make it one of West Africa’s foremost producers.
Pick this culture to increase your oil deposits and agricultural workforce!
5 NEW WONDERS
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Victoria Falls
- Zuma Rock
- Lake Natron
- Great Mosque of Djenné
The DLC is now available for pre-purchase on Steam and comes with an introductory 10% discount for those that order before the 20th of January when the DLC releases.